York Turtle Derby Rules and Regulations
1. The York Turtle Derby is produced by Big Brothers Big Sisters of York & Adams Counties, a charitable organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code whose mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever.
2. 4,000 turtles will be entered in the race. Chances of winning depend on the total number of qualified entries.
3. All turtles entered are and shall remain property of Big Brothers Big Sisters. Once the turtles are launched, they are on their own. No attempt to free or interfere with any turtle is permitted, unless deemed necessary by the race committee.
4. The York Turtle Derby will start at 2 p.m. at the West Market Street Bridge over the Codorus Creek, next to our office at 227 West Market Street, York, PA 17401. The race course will be established by the race committee. Big Brothers Big Sisters reserves the right to postpone or reschedule the race or to determine the winners by random drawing in the event of inclement weather, Acts of God, or other circumstances beyond Big Brothers Big Sisters' control.
5. A number will be attached on the bottom of each turtle relating to the number on the turtle adoption ticket. The person’s name appearing on the adoption ticket corresponding to the first turtles in order of finish as gathered in the turtle trap or collected by Big Brothers Big Sisters will be awarded prizes. Positive identification will be required to claim any prize(s). Winner will be notified by mail and must pick up their prize from Big Brothers Big Sisters by September 26, 2018.
6. A copy of the rules and regulations, a list of prizes and, after the event, a list of prize winners can be obtained from Big Brothers Big Sisters by sending a written request with self-addressed stamped envelope to: Big Brothers Big Sisters, 227 West Market St., Suite 102, York, PA 17401.
7. The entry portion of each adoption ticket must be completed in its entirety and delivered to Big Brothers Big Sisters or an authorized representative of Big Brothers Big Sisters or mailed to Big Brothers Big Sisters at the address set forth in rule (6) and actually received by Big Brothers Big Sisters by 12:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 26, 2018 to be eligible to win any prizes (pending availability of turtles). Entries received after 12:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 26, 2018, and any entries purchased thereafter are subject to the availability of turtles, and in the event the number of these entries exceeds the available number of turtles these entrants will not be eligible to win any prizes. Except as otherwise provided by Big Brothers Big Sisters, no other entrants are eligible to win any prizes. Entrants assume the risk of non-delivery of any entries to Big Brothers Big Sisters or to an authorized representative of Big Brothers Big Sisters.
8. No cash equivalent prizes or exchanges will be provided in lieu of the designated prizes. Any taxes and fees are the responsibility of the winner. By entering, the entrants release Big Brothers Big Sisters, its officers, directors, volunteers, staff, sponsors and other related entities from any and all liability with respect to the prizes. By entering, winners consent to the promotional use of their names and likenesses without any additional compensation.
9. Due to value received, entries are not considered tax deductible by the IRS.
10. The winner of any Prize must be over 18 years of age. If the Prize winner is under the age of 18, a parent or guardian may claim the prize on their behalf. Winner need not be present to win.
11. Winners will be announced following the York Turtle Derby. Winners will also, where necessary, be notified by telephone, email and/or U.S. mail. If a winner does not claim his/her prize within 30 days of race date, or if Big Brothers Big Sisters is unable to contact a winner due to insufficient or illegible contact information, or if a winner is deemed ineligible to win a prize, Big Brothers Big Sisters will select a substitute winner by random drawing of entry tickets. All prizes will be awarded.
12. All decisions and interpretations of rules and regulations will be made by Big Brothers Big Sisters’ Race Committee and its judgment is final.
13. In case of bad weather or unforeseen circumstances preventing the running of the race, turtles will be selected randomly and winners will be notified by telephone.
14. This event is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law.
15. The York Turtle Derby and its logo are registered trademarks of Big Brothers Big Sisters and no other person or entity is authorized to copy or otherwise use them without Big Brothers Big Sisters’ express written consent.
16. The Derby Duck Race/Turtle Turbo Trek are registered trademarks of GAME and cannot be used or copied without its written consent.